Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Thursday, July 26, 2012

My LVAD lifeat9200rpms: To be (a transplant recipient) or not to be...the wait continues

     I was minding my own business driving, yes LVADs drive, back from the cardio-rehab gym today when the Heart Transplant Coordinator from the U of MN called.  In brief I was told that a possible donor heart was available.  The coordinator reviewed my body mass statistics, changes in health since April, hospitalizations, blood transfusions.  I had none of the latter three.

     I was told to pack my gear (LVAD gear) and await a call from the people at life flight air ambulance service to fly to the Twin Cities.

     My wife couldn't believe it at first, but sprang into action alerting our grown son and daughters and dusted off and put into play our tentative plan for our kennel of pups.

     Within 30 minutes as I had my gear ready to go from home, the coordinator called back to tell me to stand down.  The surgeon said the donor's body mass was not calculated correctly because of massive swelling.  In short the heart would not work for me. 

     "Dry runs" are common, I'm told.  What this experience offered me was a chance to make the decision to go forward or to back out.  I was ready.

     Meanwhile, my HeartMate II continuous flow left ventricular assist device stands me in good stead at 9200 rpm's.  It's what keeps me ready, and I am grateful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome.