Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

My LVAD lifeat9200rpms: Eleven days at the head of the transplant list and counting

     I have been on the 1-A list for a heart transplant since July 20.  That is 11 days into a 30 day span that all persons listed for a heart transplant can avail themselves of.

     From my perspective, my LVAD is working quite well.  I don't wheeze, I can walk a couple of miles at a time, I can climb stairs.  My CHF is under control thanks to my pump.

     When I had my normal 90 day followup yesterday at the U of MN, my cardiologist and LVAD coordinator gave me positive reinforcement for my time as a 1-A.  Both said that while they could not predict what will happen, their experience tells them that  my time for a matching donor is fast approaching.

      The prospect of actually receiving the gift of a transplant is difficult to comprehend.  It is at once scary and there is an emotional elation aspect to the notion.  Hard to describe. 

      I've only been listed for transplant since last Halloween, a relatively period.  Even former VP Chaney was listed for more than 20 months before he received a heart.  There is no standardized measuring unit for average time on the list.

      I am not complaining.  I am content where I am.  I feel my attitude is good.  What will be, will be. But I am keeping my fingers crossed.



     

     I

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome.