Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Friday, August 17, 2012

The fast lane: My lifeat9200rpms: D-Day -1

     "Bridge to transplant" or "Destination therapy."  Just a few years ago those terms were not in the lexicon let alone within the awareness of those suffering from congestive heart failure.

     Congestive heart failure is usually progressive and irreversible. In the recent past, within 10 years, a diagnosis of CHF was a terminal diagnosis.  A heart transplant was the only solution. Donor hearts are in short supply so the end was clear.  Without a transplant, the body's systems, particularly the kidneys and liver, began to fail. The end result was the end.  There were no alternatives.

     But the biomedical community stepped up, entered the fray, and developed mechanical circulatory support devices.  Thoratec Inc., of Pleasanton, California, invested blood, sweat, and tears into the design and perfection of the present left ventricular assist device.  I have one.  It works efficiently and effectively.  Since April 2, 2010, my HeartMate II, numbered 8358, has kept me alive and kept alive my quest for a new heart.

     In early 2010, The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Thoratec's HeartMate II (LVAD) as the only medically implantable device for both "bridge to transplant" and "destination therapy."  There are other LVAD's but only the HeartMate II has FDA approval. The approval came after lengthy, detailed testing, experimental studies, and human trials.  The testing, studies, and trials are ongoing with the aim of improving the LVAD.

     For example, no one knows for sure how long an LVAD will last.  One friend has had one for more than five years, without failure.

     From the examination of HeartMate II pumps recovered after heart transplants, I'm told that Thoratec investigators found that there was negligible wear on the ruby bearings in the pump.  Since the pump has one moving part, the life span of the bearings is a critical function.  Based on the wear and tear found on "used" LVADs, the bearings have an estimated life span of up to 65 years.

    So as I approach the final hours of my 1-A status on the transplant waiting list, I am confident that I'm going to last on my "bridge to transplant." Taking advantage of my head of the line position for 30 days, doesn't spell the end of the story. Without my LVAD, I'd have no confidence in the outcome.  With it I can enjoy life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome.