Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Friday, August 10, 2012

Life at 9200 rpms: Twenty one days at the head of the line; nine to go

     Situation report on 1-A status.

     The U of MN heart transplant coordinator told me that five more patients have received a heart transplant in the last few weeks.  

     The total is now 18 for the year so far.  The U of MN has performed about 750 heart transplants over the last 30 years.  I am fortunate to be in such experienced surgical hands.

     I believe a fellow LVAD from Fargo was matched with a donor heart that caused my "dry run." That is great news.  He is doing well with his "new" heart.  You're never sure but the timing is right for him to have gotten the heart that was determined no to be a match for me.

     We know that UNOS--the United Network for Organ Sharing--is doing its job.  The transplant coordinator said there has been a lot of activity, which means chances are good that something may happen before the end of my 1-A period. 

     The wait is hard for family and friends.  My wait is tolerable for me because my LVAD, a HeartMate II numbered 8358, has kept me alive and kicking.

     Chance favors the prepared. I have nine more days as a 1-A. I am ready.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome.