Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Monday, August 20, 2012

Life at 9200 rpms: shift colors

     "Shift colors" is a Navy term that generally means a change in a ship's flag flying status.  It's when the American flag on a Navy ship is moved from flying above the bridge on a flagstaff to a lower point on the ship's fantail, signifying that the ship is docked, pier side, or at anchor in a harbor.  

     When the Navy ship gets underway, when anchors are aweigh, the colors are shifted from the fantail to a flag staff above the height of the bridge.  The bo'sun pipes a single long tone and passes the word "Underway. Shift colors."  

     The process is orderly and takes several sailors to complete moving the flag.  In reality there are two national ensigns, one for in port use and another for use underway or steaming.

     In my case, I shifted colors on 18 August from heart transplant wait list status 1-A (head of the line) to 1-B(the next category in line). There was no fanfare, no bo'sun's pipe.  But all is good.  I was not fortunate to obtain the gift of a new heart during my 30 days.  So be it.

     My confidence remains solid.  My LVAD coordinator said that in his experience most LVADs receive their transplants while in 1-B status.  I am solidly confident only because I'm alive and well thanks to my mechanical blood circulation device,  which remains a marvel of modern medicine and surgery to me and other LVAD owners.  

     Thanks to my HeartMate II, no. 8358.  It has been two years, four months, and 18 days since Mayo surgeons hooked me up.  Physicians and nurses at the University of Minnesota have cared for me since then.

     In honor of "shifting colors," I intend to go fly fishing tonight along the lake shore from my Port-a-bote.  Thoreau once wrote something to the effect that some men go fishing all their lives and never realize its not the fish they're after. You are absolutely right, Mr. Thoreau.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome.