Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

My Life at 9200 rpm's: First Thanksgiving Post

This series of narratives began last June, after visiting Thoratec in Pleasanton, CA.  I got to meet other LVADs, and learned that some of them were already blogging.  

I'm uncertain about who may be reading these posts, which I must say I believe wouldn't interest very many people other than friends and family.  At the same time, some of the posts about life with an LVAD may be helpful to others who have end stage congestive heart failure or know someone who does.  That population in the U.S. alone is huge and growing by the day, month, and year.  Many are not as fortunate as I have been to be healthy enough to receive a Heart Mate II (or any LVAD for that matter).  Many have had complications:  strokes, internal bleeding, drive line infections to name a few.

As Thanksgiving 2012 approaches, I am committed to continuing to pursue this blog in the hope that some may find a nugget of information or encouragement that might help them.  In my case, as I've made reference, I did not have any other choice: get an LVAD or do not pass go but proceed directly to the cemetery.

I am thankful that, in the words of one Mayo cardiologist, I have tolerated the LVAD well enough to be almost 32 months downrange from its installation.  I was curious about the use of the word "tolerate" in referring to the LVAD.  I have learned that many LVAD recipients have had health issues that I've seemed so far to sidestep.  I am so fortunate.

But my attitude is that just because I got an electro-mechanical circulatory support device, that does is not guarantee anything.  Today is all anyone can look forward to, and that notion applies especially to to me as an LVAD.  That is not a negative.

I have been listed for potential heart transplant, which my LVAD has allowed me to do.  If such is to be in my future, it will present a different set of challenges.

Recently, I read a CNN health blog that featured a singer, Charity Tillemann-Dick.  She is an aspiring opera soprano from Denver whose lungs failed two years ago because of pulmonary hypertension.  The operation, a double lung transplant, was successful but she began to experience  failing lungs again recently.  

She blogged about her ordeal and the blog post appeared on CNN's "The Chart" health blog. She needed a second double lung transplant.  She was in a hospital ward at the Cleveland Clinic where another young woman, who also awaited a second double lung transplant.  The other woman was not as fortunate as Tillemann-Dick.  She died six months before Tillemann-Dick was matched for a second double lung transplant.  The wait for a donor organ or organs can be a killer.  My LVAD has allowed me to wait.  

Two heart donation offers have been made to me through UNOS's ever watchful computerized selection site.  An offer is no guarantee. I am fortunate that the University of Minnesota transplant surgery team called a halt to both offers, which were found not to be suitable during on-site inspection.  I am grateful that I can wait without pain, discomfort, or significant tribulation. 

Best to all LVAD Warriors and their families.  We all have good reason to be thankful.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome.