Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Thursday, October 18, 2012

My life at 9200 rpm's: anti-coagulation drugs are no joke

      I returned to Fargo from my LVAD checkup in Minneapolis Monday only to trip on the back steps and hit my head on a metal chair.  No big deal, I thought.  It hurt but it wasn't a powerful  blow.

    Enter warfarin/coumadin, which most LVADs take as an anti-coagulant agent to keep the HeartMate II pumping smoothly and clot free.

    To be safe, I went to the ER and the doctor, who is LVAD savvy, ordered CAT scans of my head and neck.  The scans showed no brain bleeding or cervical spinal damage.

   I now know first hand what a goose egg looks like as my forehead swelled and protruded.  A day later gravity moved the bruising from the goose egg to my right eye and face.  The next day (Wednesday) my right eye swelled shut from the accumulation of coagulated blood.

     My eye doctor found no muscle damage or other damage to the eye itself. Good news.  I return today for a followup exam.

     This morning the bruising had spread to my left eye and face.  With Halloween on the way, I don't need to look for a mask.

     I would include a photo but frankly I don't recognize myself.  More importantly, I wouldn't want to deter one potential LVAD recipient from getting a pump.  

     The anti-coagulation regimen is necessary for me to survive.  Injuries happen.  I'm using hand railings on all stairs.  As the London Underground announcement reminds riders when the doors are about to close:  Mind the gap.  That goes double for LVAD warriors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome.