Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Thursday, June 28, 2012

LVAD owner with piscatorial friend



       LVAD owners can catch fish. While no longer waterproof, using a stable platform like my folding boat with a small outboard in calm water, guarantees access. 

      The problem remains that you have to hook up with a critter to catch one.  Hookups are problematic for the fisher. Bass are aggressive but wary.  I just enjoy being out there trying.  As Thoreau said, some men go fishing all their lives and never realize it is not the fish they are after.

      My son, Kevin, and I regularly pound the shores of Detroit Lake with bass poppers of our own manufacture.  We use flyfishing gear and have a good time.  The above pictured smallmouth bass did its characteristic fin dance before being brought to hand.  He took the snap on his phone Sunday an hour before sunset, the witching hour.

       We practice catch and release, which drives fish eaters crazy.  If you must have fish, open a can of tuna or visit the butcher shop fish department.  Mr. Smallmouth and brethren were returned to the water quickly and they didn't waste time discussing matters.

      By the way, the portable boat, a Port-a-bote, folds to four inches thick by 12 feet long. When the transom and three seats are removed, it weighs about 60 pounds.  It easily stows on the Yakima rack on my truck roof.  It has seen a lot of water in its time. 

      My HeartMate II made it all possible.  I'm more grateful with every cast, every fish missed, every hookup, and any time on the water.  All I need is a good cigar but alas no tobacco in my future as there was in my past.

     Tight lines.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome.