Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Monday, April 8, 2013

My Life at 9200 rpm's: Hope for the weary heart

In keeping with my commitment to spread the word on the value of mechanical circulatory support devices, The University of Virginia Medical Center in the linked article below offers a snapshot of where matters stand. Left ventricular assist devices are becoming more abundant for congestive heart failure patients.  Simply put, LVADs work.

I've had my Thoratec HeartMate II LVAD for three years and a few days.  The company's website carries a note that some 13,000 HM II's have been implanted worldwide.  

Last year at this time the figure was 10,000.  Progress comes in increments, but 3,000 new pumps worldwide in a year is pretty significant.  Other manufacturers, of course, are not represented in the 13,000 figure.  The more pumps and pump owners the merrier, from my perspective.

Here is the link to the UVA cardiologist's post   http://www.dailyprogress.com/lifestyles/vital-signs-learn-the-facts-about-heart-failure-and-the/article_2001cbf6-98a4-11e2-8164-0019bb30f31a.html

I have continued on my LVAD journey these last few days as an inpatient at the University of Minnesota Medical Center.  I had some symptoms of a blood clot in my pump and a kidney infection to boot.  The infection was resolved with antibiotics.  The clot is another matter.

Since the pump is not susceptible to internal inspection while installed, the docs use a series of tests to confirm their clot theory. Meanwhile, the patient gets a continuing dose of heparin by IV, which is a strong anti-coagulant.  Heparin keeps the blood flowing, avoiding a stroke.

One option for a clot in the pump is to have another LVAD implanted.  Another option is a new heart.  Fortunately for me, another LVAD was ruled out "at this time."  A new heart is the eventual goal, but none is on the horizon.  

I've been on the UMMC heart transplant waiting list since Hallowe'en, 2011.  In that time, I've had two 'dry runs'.  The good news for me is that my HM II has allowed me to have a life awaiting a new heart.  For that I am grateful every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome.