Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Never a dull moment: dance like nobody's watching

Having a new heart gave me a second chance. A gift of life.  

By themselves, second chances are rare.  I'm not talking about do-overs but continued existence in the here and now.

A second chance for life is a magnificent gift and I am grateful everyday.  I am hopeful that all my brothers and sisters with LVADs who are eligible for second chances, get them. There are things that matter that a new heart's potential makes possible.

For example, while I had my left ventricular assist device, my wife and I were able to see, talk to, hold and hug our granddaughter, Aria, now 3 1/2 (going on 25), a couple of times.  Travel by air was an ordeal with my bionic device and all the gear I had to carry.

This year Aria came to our son's August wedding with her mom and dad. They traveled from Connecticut to Fargo. It was a delight being around her.  We even danced at the wedding. 

I'm six feet tall and she is about 3 feet tall, which is stretching it a little. In the end I held her in my arms and cut the rug.  We had fun, fun, fun (and no one took the T-bird away, with apologies to the Beach Boys).  A new heart brings hope.

There is some good news about left ventricular assist devices.
Thoratec, the California based developer and manufacturer of the HeartMate II, which kept me alive for 38 months plus, is now testing the HeartMate III in clinical trials.  LVADs are hope perhaps the only hope for those who need a new heart.

The new device aims to solve some of the issues that surfaced with the HM II, such as reduction of friction (which causes wear and heat), and "friendlier" blood contact surfaces that ease the flow of blood without shredding cells (the point of this is to keep blood clots from happening in the pump). 

Meanwhile, some 17,000 cases of heart failure have been helped by the implantation of HM II.  No small feat. The implantation of LVADs has surpassed heart transplants. Here is a link for further reading:  http//www.thoratec.com/vad-trials-outcomes/ongoing-clinical-trials/hmiii-usa.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome.