Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Annually for 40 some years a group of newspaper reporters, businessmen, and assorted raconteurs have met on or near the Mecan River in Central Wisconsin to mark the start of trout season. 

It's always the first Saturday in May, which sometimes conflicts with Mothers' Day weekend.  About 20 years ago, the group shifted from its Mecan River site to the South Fork of Wedde Creek.   It's a mile as the crow flies from the Mecan. I've attended many trout opener gatherings over the years.

I've been fly fishing for trout and bass for nearly 50 years and joined the group after the move to Wedde Creek. The point is that I was unable to attend last year because of complications with my LVAD.  

Little did I know that I would get a second chance at life with a new heart in early June, 2013. At any rate, son Kevin and I (now waterproof once more) are headed east 500 miles to join chums and colleagues.  The donated heart gave me that chance. 

Trout are no longer at the top of the list of opening weekend activities as most of us are in our 70s and up. The eldest is 86, but he still fishes. I wet a line but routinely get skunked. But the camaraderie is priceless.  Being outdoors along a trout stream is priceless. 

We have all learned, like Thoreau once said, "some men go fishing all their lives and never realize it is not the fish they are after."

As I get to my 11th month post heart transplant, I am more grateful than ever for the gift of life.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome.