Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The First Year After Transplant: Working Out the Bugs

The Cardio team at the University of Minnesota doesn't take nights or weekends off.  That is good for us heart transplant patients.  The team has handled all manner of complex problems, which are, of course, individually based.  One size does not fit all.

With just three months since transplant, I have had some rejection of the new heart, and spent last week in the hospital addressing it.  Once that hurdle was overcome,  it was back to Fargo for a few days, and on to the next hurdle.

This week it was dehydration based on unremitting diarrhea.  The question is whether the condition is based on an infection or is in response to anti-rejection medications.  Those meds suppress my immune system and my white blood count, which can allow infections to develop. Without a suppressed immune system, my new heart would be toast.

The infection angle is being explored.  The drug response will be addressed after the infection angle is resolved.

The Cardio team has managed these and other conditions successfully.  Management of the new heart transplant patient is as much a critical phase in the process as the transplantation of  the new organ. 

For me and my family this is all uncharted territory.  Guidance from the physicians helps with perspective. They don't have all the answers but finding answers is what they are all about. 

Meanwhile, anxiety can and does run high because there are no definite answers now.

I know I am not the only one who has faced these issues.  While the issues are a concern, they are being addressed and I have confidence they will be overcome.  It just takes time and patience. 

Easier said than done, particularly for those in the throes of what seems like chaos.  But I'm grateful for what I have.  Few get a second chance at life. Organ donors make all the difference.

Remember, you can become an organ donor with just a mouse click.  Go to www.donatelife.org.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome.