Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Sunday, March 10, 2013

My Life at 9200 rpm's: Helpful LVAD communities on the web

The longer I have my LVAD, the more worthwhile I find that sharing experience of life with a mechanical circulatory support device/LVAD can help others.  

Those thinking about getting an LVAD, for those who, for lack of time to consider the option because death is around the corner, and wakeup to find they have an LVAD, and for those somewhere in-between, here are some resources that you may find helpful.  

I got my LVAD almost three years ago and had little choice in the matter.  If I wanted to remain alive, a HeartMate II, was the only option.

Facebook has several groups I belong to:

LVAD Warriors,

LVAD Inc. and Beyond, and

LVAD Friends.

The posts are current, relevant, encouraging, and helpful. Some of the posts will make you glad. Others share brutal, sad reality.  The point is, these are places to share: triumphs, setbacks, daily living-- "the full catastrophe" as Anthony Quinn, acting in the 1964 movie  Zorba the Greek said.  

Zorba seemed to mean experiencing all of life not thinking a catastrophe was certain disaster. Having an LVAD is not the end, the unraveling, but another phase of living.  Celebrate. 

Any person with an LVAD, no matter what the brand, and all those with an interest can join.  You need approval from the moderator. Search for them on Facebook and contact the moderator.

Google search for left ventricular assist devices and take your pick.

I visit MyLVAD.com often.  The forum section has plenty of practical information based on experience that only comes from having the LVAD experience. Take what you like and leave the rest. 

Another spot I visit is WebMD.com.  Thoratec and HeartWare each have websites that have useful information but no sharing in the Facebook sense.

The point is to have a place to share.  By sharing, I find comfort and hope.  I am not alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome.